The weekend of September 7th and 8th is our annual Ashikita Beach Party, where friends old and new reunite for some fun in the sun, surf and turf, barbecue, and more!
This post has final reminders and what you need to know before you go.
When: Saturday, Sept. 7 [4pm – 6pm check-in] to Sunday, Sept. 9 [9:00am final check-out]
Where: Otachimisaki Park, Ashikita
How Much: If you’re coming for the day only, admission is ¥500. If you’re staying overnight, admission is ¥2500. Cabins are first-come, first-serve for people who RSVP’d by the deadline, September 1st. If you cancel your cabin reservation after this date, you will have to pay a cancelation fee of 500 JPY.
For those who think they can get away with not paying… If you are looking for a free event, I can tell you we don’t have the money. But what we do have are a very particular set of skills, skills we have acquired from various experiences in Japan. Skills that make us a nightmare for people like you. If you give us the money, that’ll be the end of it.
Getting There…and Back Again
The Ashikita Beach Party is held yearly at Otachimisaki Park.
- Transportation Access to the Park – general directions for people driving or coming by train, provided by the Otachimisaki Park website
- Google Maps – English address: 〒869-5305 Kumamoto-ken, Ashikita-gun, Ashikita-machi, Tanouramachi, 145 Map: https://goo.gl/maps/LRyLxziW7Wo
- Google Maps – Japanese address: 〒869-5305 熊本県葦北郡芦北町大字田浦町１４５番地 Map: https://goo.gl/maps/aGcvBBmSH8u
If you use public transport to Ashikita but need a way to get to the park, KumAJET will be offering a pick-up service from the station たのうら御立岬公園駅 (Tanoura otachimisaki koen eki). Map: https://goo.gl/maps/zRkMX1RhorF2
The Saturday pick-up times are: 3 pm | 3.45 pm | 4.30 pm |5.15 pm, while the Sunday drop-off time is 10 am.
If you’re interested in the pick-up service, please check KumAJET via Facebook to confirm times. If you’re planning on staying on the beach after the drop-off, Olivia Poole will be around, so please contact her to coordinate.
Check-in is at 4pm, but feel free to come to Ashikita sooner, especially if you want to take advantage of the beautiful beach! Members of the KumAJET team will start arriving just shortly before 4pm, so do not expect to be able to check-in sooner. You will not be able to enter the cabins or store your things there until 4pm.
Parking: There are only two places for parking onsite. You cannot park your car overnight at the cabins. The parking area next to the cabins is limited in size and reserved for day-only use. You are encouraged to park your car in the large lot at the front of the reception office. The photo below of the onsite park map should give you a good idea of the space you’re dealing with.
If you’re staying overnight with us, the rental cabins (aka the Marine Cottages) will have the following:
- Air conditioning
- Toilet & bath
- Kitchen with refrigerator, gas stove, and rice cooker, with dishware and cooking utensils are provided
- Bedding (futons)
In addition, KumAJET will be providing equipment for the barbecue!
That being said, here are the things you need to bring since they will not be provided for you:
- Bedding – even though futons are provided, there are no more than 8 per cabin. We recommend you bring your own bedding and pillows just in case, especially if you did not RSVP.
- Toiletries – toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, etc.
- Towels – beach towels or bath towels
- Food and drink – please bring your own food and beverages to prepare (alcohol is ok, but DO NOT DRINK AND DRIVE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES).
- Paper goods – napkins, cups, paper plates, etc. Chopsticks and plasticware also fall under this category.
For Your Consideration…
- While KumAJET is working on a volleyball net for sports on the beach, if you want to do other things, you’re responsible for items like a beach umbrella, lawn chairs, beach blanket, frisbees, beach balls, sunscreen, bug spray, etc.
- Fireworks of any kind (even sparklers) are forbidden.
- Pets are also forbidden.
- Don’t drive drunk. Swimming drunk is not really a good idea, either.
- Keep an eye on the weather forecast, but please note that the Ashikita Beach Party runs RAIN OR SHINE – we’ve rented out and prepaid on these lovely cottages for you, and you can have a fun cabin party no matter the weather! (Obviously not if there’s something more serious like a typhoon. Safety first!)
- You are required to clean your cabin and organize your garbage according to campground rules in the bags provided. When you are finished cleaning, please place your bags on the front porch of the cabin.
- We will be doing some night walking, and while KumAJET will provide glowsticks (or similar), if you’d like more light, feel free to bring your own flashlights for the night hike!
Are you excited? WE SURE ARE!!!
We’ll see you soon! 💖